Featured Photograph: Family members of the victim discuss the case with reporters following the press conference. (Photograph by Bobby Ardoin)
BOBBY ARDOIN
Editor/Contributing Writer
The grandmother of a 15-year-old boy murdered on a downtown street Wednesday night, had difficulty containing her emotions, as four suspects in connection with the North Main Street homicide were named by Opelousas police officers Friday morning.
Lisa Myers said her grandchild, Kentravion George, identified by Police Chief Martin McLendon as the victim in the case, was raised by her as a son.
“Yes, (Kentravion) was my grandbaby, but he was more than that, since I raised him almost from the time he was born. I have 10 grandchildren, but (Kentravion) was more like my own son than a grandchild,” Myers said during a St. Landry Now interview.
McLendon told reporters during a City Hall press conference that Opelousas law enforcement is seeking to arrest three male adult suspects and a 16-year-old male juvenile for first degree murder and aggravated drive-by shooting in connection with the death of Kentravion George, who was shot while walking with several other individuals in the 800 block of North Main just south of Convent Street.

The press conference included photos of the four suspects all with Opelousas addresses as Daylan Wheeler, 21, 1216 Garland Ave., Christopher Coleman, 21; Dement Green, 22 and 16-year-old Daqualon Robinson, 16.
Myers became emotional as the press conference began and then returned later to the City Hall meeting room as she and family members of the victim discussed their feelings about the case.
“(Kentravion George) didn’t deserve this. He really was a good child overall. He was my first baby that I raised. They took my baby for nothing,” Myers told reporters following the press conference.
Myers also told of how the death of her grandchild that she said was a student at Opelousas Junior High School, has impacted her life so far.
“Nothing is the world is worth taking someone’s life. We all need to come together and realize that someone’s life is precious,” Myers said.
Kentrail George, father of Kentravion George, said it was disheartening that he learned of his son’s death through social media which apparently posted photos of the incident before he arrived at the scene.
Instagram photos were already available for viewing on Instagram before he could speak with officers who responded to the shooting, said Kentrail George.
“I was working a Mama’s Fried Chicken when someone said that a 15-year-old had got shot and that from the social media, it looked like my son, lying down in the street dead,” Kentrail George said.

Kentrail George said officers investigating the homicide said that the victim was his son.
“There were posts on social media of my son, lying down. That’s sad to have to see something like that. I mean my son had just turned 15 two months ago,” said Kentrail George.

McLendon said during the brief press conference that the investigation into the death of Kentravion George is just beginning, but a detectives team of Michael Hidalgo and Derrick Garrick that is being led by police officer Brandon Harris is aggressively trying to locate the suspects.
“We are continuing our manhunt and we will find (the suspects) and bring them to justice. We have been obtaining valuable information, but we are still in the early steps of this investigation,” McLendon said.
McLendon said the four suspects should be considered armed and dangerous.
While McLendon and his officers have been attempting to contain violent crime throughout Opelousas, McLendon said the homicide involving Kentravion George is a significant case.
“This is a young man, a 15-year-old that was taken from his family,” said McLendon.
McLendon added that, “Enough is enough. I am calling on everyone that we need to stop this. We’re better than that. We are stronger than that.”





