Skip to main content

From the Desk of Sheriff Bobby J. Guidroz
‘Did You Know’ March 8, 2022

Routinely our office investigates and arrest students for bomb threats made at local schools. In most cases, the bomb threats are written on the school’s wall. Law enforcement must and will always respond to any and all threats made towards the students, teachers, and schools. The resources needed to safely search and “clear” a school is costly and strains our response times to real emergencies. Law enforcement does not take these threats lightly and will arrest and seek prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.

In Louisiana the law states that communicating of false information of planned bombing on school property, at a school-sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone is a serious charge.

The law defines the charge as, the communicating of false information of a bombing threat on school property, at a school-sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone whether or not such threat involves fake explosive devices is the intentional impartation or conveyance, or causing the impartation or conveyance by the use of the mail, telephone, telegraph, word of mouth, or other means of communication, of any such threat or false information knowing the same to be false.

The person committing the crime shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than twenty years. Upon commitment to the Department of Public Safety and Corrections after conviction for a crime committed on school property, at a school sponsored function or in a firearm-free zone, the department shall have the offender evaluated through appropriate examinations or tests conducted under the supervision of the department. Such evaluation shall be made within thirty days of the order of commitment.

We are urging parents talk to their kids and explain to them that this is not a joke, lives are at risk and the jail time is hard.

The above information is intended for information purposes only and not for legal advice. For legal advice, consult an attorney. Questions can be submitted to