History St Landry History Women in History

Photo from the Past – Blackshear’s Store Interior

CAROLA LILLIE HARTLEY
Contributing Writer

Opelousas Women in Business: From 1902 to about 1915, the family of Patton Taylor Blackshear, known as P. T., operated a mercantile store in the building that once housed the business of Christopher Dietlein. Blackshear’s Store, on the corner of Main and North streets in downtown Opelousas, sold fancy and staple groceries and other items.  Pictured here are two Opelousas women who were part of that business: on the left is Miss Lizzie Blackshear and standing to the right is her mother, Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Evans Blackshear.