History St Landry History

Lafleur Brothers

By: Carola Lillie Hartley

Merry Christmas in 1923 from the Lafleur Brothers of Opelousas, Louisiana. 

Who were the Lafleur Brothers?

In 1922, the Lafleur Brothers car dealership moved their service station from the corner of Market and Bellevue streets to the Allen T. Sandoz garage building on West Landry Street. The automobile company owned by Leo, Aaron and Teurling Lafleur sold Buick cars. When the company first opened Aaron Lafleur oversaw the sales end of the business while Teurling handled the accessories and Leo gave the best possible Buick service. One of the first Buicks the company sold went to Max Klaus of Washington, LA. In November of1926, the company was reorganized as the Lafleur Motor Company, Incorporated with Leo Lafleur as president, L. A. “Pete” Andrepont as Vice-president, and Lorenzo Lafleur as Secretary/Treasurer. In August of 1927, the Lafleur Motor Company acquired ownership of the Powers Bros Garage on Main Street, owned by William and George Powers, and moved their operations to that site. Later the company relocated again to West Landry and Liberty streets in Opelousas.