History St Landry History

Photo from the Past: Opelousas, LA – 1916

Riding down South Main Street in downtown Opelousas. To the right is the old King home, that was at that time the home of Leonce Sandoz, who published the Opelousas Courier, the local newspaper started by his father Joel Sandoz in 1852. Just three years later the house was sold and remodeled and was known as the Frank Dietlein Home that many in this group will remember. (It was demolished in 1973.)

The fenced property next to the Sandoz home is the vegetable garden of Sam Calamina, who operated a fruit stand at the corner of Main and Vine Street. In the background, from the garden, is the white frame house where Jay Graham, a mechanic who worked for the Haas Garage, lived.

This photo is not the best quality, but it does give us a view of life in Opelousas at that time.