We are excited to announce the upcoming Cajun Mardi Gras Festival 2024, a vibrant celebration of Cajun culture, cuisine, and tradition that promises to be an unforgettable experience for attendees.
- Date: February 9 – 13, 2024
- Location: Historic Downtown Eunice, Louisiana
What to Expect: Get ready to party like never before at the Cajun Mardi Gras Festival! It’s not your typical celebration—it’s a wild ride through history and traditions, offering an experience that’s only found here in Eunice! For five days straight, we’ve got everything you need for a good time: music that’ll make you dance, food that’ll make your mouth water, and family fun that’ll have you smiling from ear to ear. The festival’s focal point is the authentic Courir de Mardi Gras – an authentic tradition – involving participants in traditional costumes on horseback, foot, or wagons capturing the spirit of Mardi Gras. The participants are led by the Capitaine through the countryside to catch chickens and gather ingredients for a communal gumbo.
It’s a Mardi Gras, and trust us, it’s a sight to be seen! A significant highlight is the “Old Time Boucherie,” a Cajun tradition involving the butchering of pigs to make many Louisiana foods. Satisfy your culinary cravings with a curated lineup of food truck vendors from Louisiana and neighboring states, offering an array of delectable options. So each visitor can take some Louisiana home, our festival also includes cooking demonstrations on Crawfish Etouffee and Gumbo, delivering an experience that captivates food enthusiasts.
But wait, there’s more! Along the Zydeco Cajun Prairie Scenic Byway the Cajun Mardi Gras Festival is turning up the volume with twenty-one area favorite bands playing Cajun, Creole, and Zydeco genres. And the local artisans showcase and sell their crafts in the historic downtown area. But that’s not all—our festival is a global hotspot!
In 2023, we had visitors from 45 U.S. states and international visitors. In a nutshell, our festival isn’t just your run-of-the-mill Mardi Gras. It’s an extraordinary celebration that dives deep into the rich Cajun heritage of Eunice, giving you a taste of traditional Louisiana festivities. Save the date, grab your dancing shoes, and anticipate a taste of traditional Louisiana festivities that will undoubtedly leave you exclaiming, “Laissez les bons temps rouler!”
- Live Music. Get ready to sing and dance to genuine Cajun music featuring an impressive lineup of artists, including but not limited to Grammy Award Winning Artist Wayne Toups, Louisiana’s beloved Three Thirty Seven, the globally acclaimed Cajun and Zydeco sensation Horace Trahan & Ossun Express, local favorite Clay Cormier & The Highway Boys, and the Grammy Award nominee Geno Delafose & French Rockin’ Boogie just to name a few..
- Culinary Delights. Embark on a delectable journey featuring an array of traditional Cajun and Creole dishes. Explore an extensive selection of food trucks offering a diverse range of culinary delights, with multiple genres of food as well as delectable desserts. Ensure not to overlook the authentic cooking demonstrations showcasing the art of preparing Gumbo and Crawfish Étouffée, as well as the timeless tradition of Old Time Boucherie. It’s a culinary adventure that combines authenticity with a touch of indulgence
- Parade. Experience the heart of the festival with the authentic Courir de Mardi Gras – a traditional event featuring participants in costumes on horseback, foot, or wagons, capturing the essence of Mardi Gras. Led by the Capitaine, they embark on a countryside adventure to catch chickens and gather ingredients for a communal gumbo – a Mardi Gras celebration like no other!
Looking for even more Mardi Gras fun? Check out Macaroni KID Acadia-St. Landry’s Ultimate Mardi Gras Family Fun Guide for a complete list of parades, festivals, courirs and more happening around St. Landry Parish and surrounding areas.