Local News

The Beauty of Historic Le Vieux Village

An old syrup kettle sits between the Palmetto African-American Methodist Church and the Whiteville Schoolhouse. Both buildings are on display at Le Vieux Village du Poste des Opelousas. The village was created by the Opelousas Tourism and Activities Committee in 1988.

The Palmetto African-American Methodist Church was moved to the village in the year 2000. It was built in 1948 in the village of Palmetto, LA in St. Landry Parish. The renovated church building was dedicated in 2003.

Typical of a two-room country schoolhouse, the Whiteville Schoolhouse building was constructed about 1911 in the Whiteville area of St. Landry Parish. Moved to the village in 1991, the schoolhouse is one of only a few of its kind remaining in Louisiana. (Photograph by Freddie Herpin.)