From the Desk of Sheriff Bobby J. Guidroz
RIDESHARING SAFETY TIPS
In the past summoning a cab was easy. Most were all marked and often yellow in color. Rideshare companies now hire private citizens using their private vehicles in place of cabs making it harder to identify the right vehicle. They do have signs pasted on the windows but identification is still hard. Here are some helpful hints to make sure you are getting into the right vehicle.
- Wait inside until the ride comes, this will hinder anyone looking for unsuspecting callers to abduct them.
- Look for a company sticker on the windshield.
- Ask the driver their name, the destination, and your name then check it on your app. They must have all that information. If they don’t, do not get in.
- Walk to the back of the vehicle and take note of the license plate then text the ride information to a friend.
- Ride in the back seat and make sure the child safety locks are not enabled before closing the vehicle door.
- Never offer the driver any personal information.
- Intuition is a powerful tool!! If, for any reason, you feel uncomfortable, refuse the ride.
- Remember don’t drink and drive. Using these tips when using rideshare companies will help keep you safe.
The above information is intended for information purposes only and not for legal advice. For legal advice, consult an attorney. Questions can be submitted to email@example.com