Skip to main content

BOBBY ARDOIN

Editor/Consulting Writer

Obstacles haven’t deterred Taylor Hollier and Landon Miller from pursuing their athletic dreams.

Hollier, a pitcher for the Opelousas Catholic baseball team and Miller, who was the Vikings’ football placekicker for three seasons, announced last week that they were signing college athletic scholarships.

While the event held in the school gymnasium marked the latest achievement in their careers, both athletes have had to work to navigate past their own issues before getting opportunities to perform at the next level.

Hollier Has Faced Injuries

Next year Hollier hopes to be pitching for Baton Rouge Community College.

However Hollier has recently confronted problems with an inflamed elbow, which limited his appearances for each of the last two seasons.

As the Vikings begin another chance at reaching the state tournament, Hollier says he will probably work in relief during the remainder of the postseason.

“It’s not a Tommy John-type of injury, but it requires limited work and rest. I was released by the doctors about three weeks ago and right now, I expect that I will be coming in games as a reliever,” Hollier said.

Hollier has been previously named as an all-state pitcher by the Louisiana baseball coaches, according to OCS head baseball coach and athletic director Justin Boyd.

Boyd estimates that Hollier has worked about 16 innings on the mound during the last two seasons. 

“(Hollier) is the type of pitcher who is always going to be 100 percent focused and a competitor when he is out there. During the last couple of weeks, he has thrown about six innings for us,” Boyd said.

Miller Has Put In The Effort

Miller said he has worked hard to become a kicker that signed a scholarship with Louisiana Christian University in Pineville.

Over the past several years Miller has been named as a first and second team all-district placekicker. This year he was also named to the St. Landry Now.com All-Parish football team.

LCU Miller said, is so far been his only option for kicking at the next level.

“There was one other college I spoke with, but LCU is the program that has shown an interest in providing me with a scholarship,” said Miller.

Miller said he has worked strenuously to improve his leg strength over the past four years in order to improve his distance.

The arduous efforts seem to have worked.

Miller feels that he is now accurate inside 45 yards and he’s confident that his maximum place kicking distance has extended to 50 yards.

“I go through a bunch of different routines to work on my leg. For me that has been the big thing, keep on working hard and putting in the time to become stronger,” Miller added.

At this point Miller thinks he has a chance to kick regularly for LCU.

“Right now I and maybe one other person are listed as the only kickers on the roster. The opportunity is really there for me,” Miller said.